Mickey Take by Steven Hayward

Mickey Take: When a debt goes bad...Mickey Take: When a debt goes bad... by Steven Hayward


Having won a signed copy on The Book Club auction I couldn't wait to start reading it. And I sure has hell wasn't disappointed. Oh Mickey your so fine, your so fine you blow my mine is what I think of this book!

So we start off with the prologue and one gritty scene of a car crash in December 1983.Which left me wanting to know more. Then we fast forward to the year 2009. Where we meet Michael Field an ex banker who is having much luck, having lost his job and wife. Herbert who is Mickey's old time friend makes a job proposal that is non-negotiable. It is a payback for a cover-up years ago. But it all seems to easy and Mickey feels something isn't right. Then Grace de Manton is making advantages which Mickey is flattered by. But who is Grace? could she be connected to Herbert? And the whole time feeling like he is being watched and something isn't right after the voice of a stranger threatening him down the phone.

There is lots of Flashbacks at the start of the story which I found very fitting, Which all becomes clear at the end. I have to say I love the mention of Woolworths, who didn't love that shop?! it totally took me back to the Eighties LOL

For me this isn't your normal crime book I would say its more a physiological thriller with gangland. The whole debt storyline was touching on Martina Cole style with the underworld storyline. But I have to say I found the author's style of writing very unique. Mickey is a strong, quirky, upbeat character and I love how the narrator has portrayed the story through Mickey's eyes which I honestly think this is absolutely class. There is also brief extracts from the watcher's perspective keeping you wondering who the watcher is, very clever I have to say. Mickey Take is one hell of a page tuner with lots of twists and turns that will have you guessing until the end. I honestly couldn't get enough and I am looking forward to reading more of Steven Hayward's books in the future, hopefully with Mickey in them!

I highly recommend this book giving it 5 massive stars.




View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Thanks for your lovely review, Chelle! Chuffed to bits you enjoyed Mickey Take.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts